September 08, 2018
After having lived in our new home for 4 months, I was itching to make pretty things happen and improve our curb appeal. This of course wouldn't be an exciting makeover blog without the before photo. Tada!!!!!
I cannot tell you how excited I was to see my dad pull over with his truck on this fine and sunny Saturday morning. In my eyes, dad is handy Superman! I called him up literally the day before to give him a visual of the mailbox project and he showed up the next day! As a DIYer, I'm really lucky to have him because he loves building stuff from scratch...wink wink ;)
Project time length: About 4-5 hours. Like any new projects, multiply the time you expect to be done in by about 2 or 2.5 and you'll come up with the real completion time...
Budget: approximately $176 (+ or - $4 depending on the # of digits in your house #) If you ask me...that isn't bad at all considering the fancy ones you can buy out there going for $250-$550.
Tools you'll need:
What time is it? It's DESTRUCTION time!
Now time to dig some holes and let the makeover countdown begin! Dig 2 holes about a foot apart and a foot and a half deep.
Then insert the posts into the holes. Please make sure to use a level so they're straight! Who wants to end up with that wobbly and crooked mailbox?!
Time to get the concrete ready and fill in those holes. Add water to the mix and if you happen to have some rocks laying around, pour those in too! There's no way you'll end up with a wobbly crooked post after that.
Time to work on the solar caps. Since they are meant to fit on top of wooden posts, we had to cut 2 little blocks from the old post we tore down and screw those caps to it. These will then be inserted inside the vinyl sleeves posts.
Next step...you guessed it! Slipping the vinyl sleeves over the posts.
Things are starting to take shape, right? Let's keep rolling...Now, simply attach your mailbox to the post (refer to the guide included in the box).
We've got a couple more steps for you before you celebrate this achievement: Screw the corner brackets into place with the larger one in the front and the smaller one in the back. FYI: I painted them after they were mounted...because I didn't have enough patience to wait for the paint to dry before mounting them. To wrap up this white theme, I used the BEHR semi-gloss paint I had left from a wood trim painting project in the house.
Let's put the finishing touches! I wanted to give our number post a little pizzazz, so I grabbed the cap that came with the vinyl post sleeve and set it in place around the top. How about adding 1 more wow factor by screwing an iron plant bracket to the post! Tada!!! Voila!!!
THE BEFORE AND AFTER MAILBOX MAKEOVER
Our next projects (which will have to wait since my handy dad is busy redoing his roof) is a couple pairs of exterior wooden shutters and a wooden window box. I CANNOT WAIT! I LIVE for home makeovers! Let us know what you think. Hopefully, we gave you as much details as possible to make it easier for you.
September 12, 2018
August 26, 2018
September 03, 2017